Blog vs Youtube
Blogs and youtube channels are two of the main mediums for sharing information and contents. They play a major role in people getting updated about many things.
Youtube channels are trending right now in the whole world as an average person does use youtube for more than an hour. Most of us do have youtube channels even if there’s no decent amount subscribers.
A youtube channel can be easily created and a video can be just published without even blinking. That’s why the content creators and contents in youtube are increasing day by day and people are ready engaging with the contents.
In case of blogs, They are still running successfully among the video contents. Many of us think blogs are dead by now because it can’t compete with youtube or other visual contents.
Truth is nothing can exchange the quality of a written content and there’s not going to be a world without readers and so it’s obvious that blogs aren’t going to be dead.
So neither blog nor youtube is going to be not interested by people and as far as this blog vs youtube maintain its heathy competition, there’s not a thing to worry for.
What Should I Choose?
What platform should you choose is your decision according to the interests of yours.
If you love being a youtube content creator that produce quality visual contents viewers are always craving for, Its good to to go with youtube.
If you are kinda shy person to share something infront of a camera and more of a text nerd, you should be starting a blog and make contents that readers are looking for.
Blog vs Youtube is a clash that you cannot find a clear winner and both will stand on their feet as long as all of their audience dies. Clearly, Its not going to happen in the next few decades.
Here are the advantages and disadvantages of using blog vs youtube:
Advantages of Youtube
1. Free of cost, you can make a channel free of cost.
2. No need for maintenance.
3. Free from hackers. (If your google account is protected)
4. No one can copy and paste your videos, if anybody does, you can sue copyright against him.
5. No extra server and hosting cost for your videos, unlike website hosting.
6. Easy to get traffic. (It depends on many factors, but not tougher than blog)
Disadvantages of Youtube
1. Too much operational cost.
2. Dfficult to get 10,000 views, 1k subscribers and 4k hours watch time on your channel.
3. A Large quantity of data is needed to upload pictures.
4. No control on monetization of videos.
Difficult to earn money from affiliate links.
5. Too much time required to create a video.
6. More expenses, generate for creating a video.
7. Good camera and heavy videos, editing skill required.
8. You are the brand for your channel, suppose any other person upload videos in your channel, most likely no one comparable to watch your channel. No, teamwork works here.
9. If data charge a raise, most likely people will not watch videos and prefer blogs and site.
10. You need to create a script for every video, and then you have to speak with the good video background then you have edit the videos, which is quite cumbersome.
Advantages of Blogging
1. You have total control of your website, you change or modify as you want.
2. You can monetize your website, as with many ad publishers.
3. You will learn new things, like digital marketing (SEM, SEO). And you also gain technical skills.
4. Your income depends upon how much traffic you are generating.
5. Time saving and helpful. You can post as many as possible with a short time.
6. You can ferment with your team, your leadership quality will increase.
You can delegate your work with your team members.
7. Easy to do affiliate marketing as compared to youtube, also some of the major affiliate marketplace only allow to became affiliate if you own a website!
Disadvantages of Blogging
1. Competition is high, difficult to bring traffic. (You will not get much organic traffic at the initial stage of your blogging.)
2. Some patience is required. You need to be patient, while your website or blog getting trust and domain authority from search engines.
3. Easily your website gets targeted by hackers. But you can protect your website with additional security measurements
4. Maintenance is expensive and difficult. Its true that you need few bucks to kick off your blog (Increase cost as your blog grows) and as well as there are few free blogging platforms as well
Are blogs relevant as Youtube?
As I already mentioned, both platform has good standard with advantages and disadvantages. But you need to know the bloggers are still making millions of dollars.
As of 2020, PewDiePie’s net worth is estimated to be $20 million. Pewdiepie is the famous youtuber in the world. This is the biggest example of Youtubers making huge amount of money.
But some bloggers still making much more money than these youtubers.
Top 10 Highest paid blogs
1. HuffPost: $500 million per year
2. Engadget: $47.5 million per year
3. Moz: $44.9 million per year
4. PerezHilton: $41.3 million per year
5. Copyblogger: $33.1 million per year
6. Mashable: $30 million per year
7. TechCrunch: $22.5 million per year
8. Envato Tuts+: $10 million per year
9. Smashing Magazine: $5.2 million per year
10. Gizmodo: $4.8 million per year
This calculations are estimated and not accurate. The list was found on the internet and seemed legit to me.
This list is enough for anyone to believe that blogging is still profitable. This list of blogs might be the biggest names and even large firms But there are also individual bloggers who are richer than many youtubers today.
Many guys will discourage you to start blogging Instead or with vlogging. Fact is blogging has much more stability than any other medium, because a blog is completely owned by you, not youtube nor tiktok.
I am not discouraging you to start youtube, Instead I just wanted to explain how blogging is also available. As I already mentioned youtube is still a good option for all those who can produce quality and Interesting visual contents.
Just think about how many times you are searching for something in google? More than half of the search results are blogs and their pages.
Many people more than youtube visitors are searching in google and following many of the blogs because there is authenticity in written piece of content.
Blogs and blogging aren’t dead and will never be in next few decades though. Blogs and youtube is without a doubt, good platform for talents like you.